About the Old Police Station
In January 1948, Mr Saffrey, Clerk to the Courts, presented a petition to the
Lord Chancellor requesting permission for appropriate premises to be built, as miscreants
were detained in the Policeman’s house and his spouse was expected to feed them.
Prior to the Court House being built in 18498the Magistrates held proceedings in
The White Heart in Kings Street.
The Land in Dear Street was purchased for £150 from a Miss Turgoose and the total
cot of the build a £2000. The building was opened in 1849 and the stocks were moved
here from the market Place.
It functioned as a Court house until 1996 when all case were moved to Lincoln as
the facilities at the station fell below the required Standard.It finally closed
completely in 1998.
Market Rasen Town Council purchased the building in 2006. The Old police Station
is a Grade ll Listed Building and is believed to be only one of three complete Georgian
Court House left in England.
For more information visit